October 31, 2007

The Curse

I've been getting the house organized and rearranging for the baby. Mostly hanging photos and frames that have been lingering around. It's so hard to decide what to hang. Why? Once you've been exposed to stunning photographs it's impossible to be satisfied with anything mediocre. I heard a guy say once who had just taken his first intro photography class, "I never take pictures anymore because I know the light is not right. I know when it's going to be ugly and I won't be happy with the image". EXACTLY! Welcome to my world, pal. You've just been introduced to "the curse". Jeff used to be so confused in the early days of our marriage because I didn't take many photos. It's because of the "the curse". And recently he said, "How is that I am married to a photographer and we have nothing hanging on the walls?" Good point, but Hello! Don't you know about "the curse"? So not only am I a perfectionist at heart (which also prevents me from hanging anything on the walls), but I am a photographer dealing with "the curse".

Our home teacher always teases me because we have a had an empty 30x40 frame hanging above the couch for probably a year. Every time he leaves he asks if I will have a photograph up next time. I never do. It is still one of the empty spaces. And Jeff wants to hang MY photos in the house. I think that would be great, but I don't necessarily want to hang only fashion (my best work). And I'll never be a landscape photographer. It's just not my thing. So I'm not sure I have a photograph I've taken that I want to stare at every single day. Yet another element of "the curse"...visually I am easily bored. There are very few photos that never get old to me and this frame hangs very prominantly in the living room where we spend most of our time. I agree with Jeff though....I want our artwork to be personal and represent us. I'd like to include some religious art also, but I hate what's out there. And LDS art is the worst of all! What is the deal with religious Mormon art anyway? Does it have to be cheesy and so totally literal? Aren't we more complex and aren't we deeper people?

I'm on the prowl. It may take years, but if I find some religious themed art that really moves me it will be on this blog. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll know it when I see it. Minerva Teichart is getting there for me, but it's still not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment