February 18, 2008

My Personal Feelings

Yesterday Jeff and I went to a deployment ceremony for our friend Darron. He is leaving for Kuwait on Wednesday and will be there for a year. When our friend saw us he made such a big deal about how nice Jeff was dressed (khakis and a dress shirt...not the best of his best, but better than average). Granted he usually sees Jeff in his motorcycle gear so it was not to hard to impress. But as I was looking around the theater and people watching I just noticed how casual everyone was dressed. Specifically the women. Dressing too casual for things is a personal pet peeve of mine. And it's cemented by a husband who really appreciates a well dressed feminine woman. I will never forget my brother's photos from his wedding reception. One of his high school buddies showed up in jeans and a Nebraska sweatshirt! To a wedding reception???? Unbelievable.

I've got my fair share of casual clothing in my closet, but I also have my share of knock 'em out clothing. Because sometimes life throws us moments that call for great clothes. Moments that demand a little extra effort. You know.....weddings, graudations, births, funerals, etc. One way we can honor these moments is how we dress. Certainly your husband/friend going to war for a year is included on the list of significant moments. I guess all I'm asking is that we give the special moments in our lives the respect they deserve. Dress your best. Show your husband that it means something he's serving his country. That HE means something. It's so worth it!!

8 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree and often wonder when it was decided that casual dress is okay at some functions, particularly wedding receptions. I always used to tell the young women that you act how you're dressed and casual isn't always appropriate. Okay, I'd better not get started because it is one of my pet peeves too. But, I think it's just people being lazy, and speaking of lazy I'm going to go put my make-up on now and fix my hair cause I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I look like crap and it's almost noon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay to look like crap in the privacy of your own home....not a significant moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you cousin Leslie? I'm a bit slow at times! Thanks for your nice comments on our blog. I agree with the dressing thing. It seems like many moms wear sweat pants most days. This drives my man crazy! He would not like that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. Not a cousin. Just friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Like for instance, when did it become ok to wear you pajama pants to a temple rec. interview with the stake pres.??? Um yeah, I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Grief!!! That is one of the worst I've heard. Awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree. Some of my in-laws are notorious for casual dressing. How about showing up to wedding receptions and funerals in shorts and a t-shirt and a baseball cap that says something negatory about your wife. Gotta love that! I personally think this person does it for attention. But for crying out loud let's take a little pride to the matter.

    ReplyDelete