May 30, 2008

A few thoughts....

I promise I'll have pics to post next week. A few days ago I took some stunning images of florals from my sister's back yard. You should see the peonies. Gigantic!!! They are quickly becoming my favorite flower. Also, my parents are coming for a visit and I've informed them they will be photographed. It's been a while for them.

In the meantime, I have all things home on my mind. I recently started to recycle paper (inspired by thrifty, recycling sister and the 900 catalogs I get in the mail each day). I did not realize how much we waste until I started saving it. Oh the shame! Also, this morning I signed up for the curbside recycle program through the city. 2000 people must volunteer before it goes into action. Let's hope they get the numbers. I think we can handle the additional $7 cost. It's worth being free of all this guilt. I am a consumer. I am wasteful. There I said it.

The truth is, for years I have had a reoccurring fear that when we die we will have to live with every single piece of trash we've ever thrown away. Can you imagine?

8 comments:

  1. Oh the horror! I have to admit that living in southern California made me very recycle-conscious. We had a recycle bin for plastics and paper and another one for green stuff like leaves, etc. Now I recycle everything that can be recycled and think ill of those who don't! Just kidding...sort of. It's worth the $7!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one thing I LOVE about Lehi... Recycling is a must in this city, you pay for it whether you use it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you, Les! It is a very enlightening experience when you realize your footprint on the earth - and not in a good way. My family makes fun of me continuously but I have to live with myself & this is what my true spirit loves & tells me what to do. I just told MDH (my dear husband) the other day that I have suppressed these things for years because of negative peer pressure & I'm not going to listen anymore - I'm only going to listen to my heart. OK, my soapbox is done for the day. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thought makes me sick! I would be surrounded by Diet Coke cans.

    Em and I recycle. It feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just switched trash service so we could go from a tiny recycling box to a 96-gallon can! The new service only picks up recycling every other week, but trash and yard waste comes every week. I am amazed that we can fill that 96-gallon can and then some! We were only doing what would fit in that silly little box but now we're recycling like crazy. For all the other un-earth-friendly things we do, hopefully this helps make up for it a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recycling is worth it! It's amazing how much stuff we waste (me in particular)! We need to hop on the bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go everyone for recycling! Anything we can do for the earth is one thing more we do for ourselves too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I must say that we've bumped up to TWO recycle cans--that only come every other week, but they are usually both full. So I don't know if that means we are doing a good job of recycling or using too much. Either way our city makes you pay even if you don't use it so we might at well be more recycle friendly.

    ReplyDelete