June 24, 2008

A step above...

I'm not quite sure what got me thinking about this again today, but recently a neighbor on our street declared that those of us living in townhomes are only one step above trailer trash. Uh, Excuse Me? You can't be serious. My blood is still boiling. I realize I am quite home sensitive these days. Perhaps it's because I'm working my butt off trying to make this "trailer" of ours lovely. Or that I literally grew up next to a trailer park (good 'ol P-Town). But last time I checked there is not a speck of garbage in our front or back yard. Nor have I seen a single plastic chair, pink flamingo, broken anything on our street....(You get the idea). And besides..... the hubby stopped wearing his wife beaters a couple weeks ago! (ha,ha,ha)

When I start to feel a little down about our trailer park lifestyle, I try to remind myself that the equivalent to our humble (3 bedroom, 3 bath) abode would cost around $695,000 in East Harlem, NYC. (estimate courtesy of city realty). Now that's a nice trailer. So even though we have lowered ourselves to live in this mobile home park I simply refuse to live like trash.

10 comments:

  1. Don't buy into it, Les!!! It's called living below your means and saving money so you're not a poor retiree. The rest of them who believe they are "above" a townhouse are 1. Wanting what they can't afford 2. Trying to keep up with the Jones' 3. Will end up broke if they aren't already. It's a facade people--GET OVER IT! The rich are NOT the ones living in expensive neighborhoods, its the people trying to act rich. Can you say Warren Buffet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true! But sometimes don't you just want to punch people in the face? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't punch her?! Maybe you should stick a pink flamingo on her yard just for kicks...or take her inside your "trailer" and beat her with one! People sure can be stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a "HIM" and he's gigantic...looks like Hulk Hogan. Not joking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are INCREDIBLE, they never cease to amaze me, sheesh! What do you say to someone like that? I mean really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hulk Hogam huh?! Speaking of trailer trash or looking like it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. He's big that's for sure. Jeff keeps reminding me that they have had lots of problems with their townhome...repairs, etc. That's why the trailer park reference....but man it bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just worked with Hulk Hogan 2 days ago. He was sweet and kind and quiet and sad. I don't care where he was brought up or how many bandanas he owns. Give me a kind person who sleeps in a trailer over a feather bed snob any day of the week.
    -ang

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found that they are just trying to impress everyone. Like "it's okay for YOU to settle here, but for ME - this is just a temporary stopping place." Whatever - talk to them in about 10 years & then see how they're doing. I agree with "anonymous" - some of my favorite people come from the ghetto. I have no time for conceit. Patience and humility win every time. Remember the tortoise & the hare? My favorite fable...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and yes, I often want to punch people in the face - it's something I'm working on... hee hee. Then I just go read a book or talk to my best friends to get a reality check. Just give me normal, people!

    ReplyDelete