September 02, 2008

More ranting about LDS art...

I'm sure I'm about to stir up a little controversy and/or hurt some feelings with my latest thoughts. So sorry, but it's my blog and I'm frustrated......




Call me crazy, but the last time I checked, my testimony did not take the form of a "Love at Home" wall clock or "Families are Forever" vinyl lettering.

According to one of my favorite people, our lives are the symbol of our faith. I couldn't agree more. And I really, really hope I'm doing a good job in that department because I'm failing the Mormon art hanging on my wall contest.

Ok, so before I come across as a total snob (probably too late for that)...I confess I would love nothing more than to discover an appropriate visual symbol of my faith. (see previous post). I'm still searching so feel free to suggest a fave if you have one.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. The only LDS art I have hanging in my house is a picture of the Washington D.C. Temple that I took because I couldn't find a temple picture that I liked. There are some "Mormon sayings" out there that make me cringe but I won't write what they are because I know that I would offend certain people! There are some things out there that I want but they are WAY out of my budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I really hope someone in bloggy world has found something great. I'd love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's difficult to recommend a visual symbol of faith to another person. Vinyl lettering and most mainstream Christ and temple pictures are pieces of art that do not inspire me or remind me of covenants I have made. However, for some people, these items do just that and I think that's great. I can appreciate the feelings that these images evoke for them because I have my own personal images that do the same for me. Do I expect them to have similar feelings for these images? Nope, but I do think the key is finding what works for you. And for me, it's often not just the piece that evokes such feelings, but the context of viewing this piece for the first time.

    Hope you find something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok. i am so with you. not to sound snobby but the jesus i believe in does not look like the stuff they sell at deseret.

    HOWEVER, i do know a guy who does AMAZING work and it is something i love so much i have a 20x30 of THIS and a 60x48 of THIS.

    one of these days, i want to get my hands on THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie.

    I've got to tell you it is super hard to do a good religious painting. I hate half of my own paintings. What can I say. All I can do is keep trying.

    God bless!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete