January 03, 2009

My hope for the new year

I'm not a big resolution person. Too much hype. And I tend to want to get inspired and set goals around the Fall. But I have some dreams for this year.
Like try not to let this happen:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night.
I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed.
I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”

- Anna Quindlen

4 comments:

  1. AMEN. I feel the same way. I've tried on some days to write down some of the things that he's doing that day that I wish to remember one day. Just the little things that I know I might forget. Good goal! Thanks for sharing that. --ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! I have to remind myself of that everyday as Tyler seems to be growing and changing by the minute. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guilty of not living in the moment-especially at bedtime. Darn those good TV shows that make me sometimes rush through the bedtime routine! (I'm trying to be better.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that too. It seems to be on a lot of people's minds. This was discussed at the beg. of Dec. and I made a goal to try and appreciate the moment better and we had a glorious winter vacation. We had a small balance for about 2 weeks. Now school has started again, homework, everything and I want Christmas back!! We'll have to find the balance again. I think it's possible!

    ReplyDelete