January 19, 2010

Inspiration hits {The Daily Life Series}

I've been hearing a lot of "enjoy them. they grow up so fast" lately. Which sometimes makes me want to throw things. And just yesterday I overheard grandma-esque woman telling another mother during her child's meltdown to "love every minute" because she "misses it so much". Huh? OK, not going to enjoy those kind of minutes, but it sparked an idea. Inspiration hit. And I decided I need to photograph daily life. Because you know.... "they grow up so fast" and I need to "enjoy it". The things we do. Like color, eat, take naps, play, watch kid movies, clean, run errands, do laundry and whatever else I can't think of right now. Oh, and there's also throw tantrums, laugh, and cry.

We'll see how it goes. Meaning, we'll see if I can create some lovely images from very mundane moments and a life phase that I don't particularly enjoy. But I like the thought of having a record of the every day. Maybe I'll call it "in the trenches" instead (courtesy of my sister). A more appropriate description of raising babies.

So I say to you, Daily Life, bring it on! I'm going to photograph the heck out of you.






{Check out this dad's thoughtful tribute to childhood}.

9 comments:

  1. I have mixed feelings about those "enjoy it while it lasts" comments too. I think some of those women have been distanced from the toil of young children for so long that their mind as selectively forgotten how taxing and challenging it can be.

    Also, sometimes I want to ask in reply, "Well, did you 'enjoy it' when you had small children?". I don't necessarily think they did, they probably handled it just like I did everyday. Enjoying and loving some moments, and at other moments feeling like you just locked yourself into an 18 year sentence. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it when my children were screaming at each other while playing on the Wii. I enjoyed it when my 10-yr-old told my 8-yr-old that she hated her. I'm sure going to miss "she touched me," "that's not fair," "she always..."

    I can't wait to see you photograph the heck out of Daily Life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://fritzes.blogspot.com/2009/01/just-cio.html

    your post made me think of the above post.... I think you already do a great job of documenting the everyday when you photograph it, like the photos of L when you were trying to make the bed (i think?)

    sometimes yes, this whole mother thing can be frustrating, but there are definite times as well when they are SO out of control I can't help but laugh a little... maybe that is just me.. but I DO have the "i wish I could throw my macaroni at the wall" moments, so I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been awhile since I've popped over... can't wait to see your photos. And btw.. loving imaginary shopping spree! How did I miss that for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I have a few "satan face" pics of each child. When I look at the pic of my 18 mo old (now 10yo) in complete meltdown mode, I just go, "Oh yeah, I hated that day." I'm def. not to the "oh how I miss that" phase. I don't think I'll ever be. I'm going to be a considerate grandma person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love this idea!! I can't wait to see what you capture! I try to enjoy all the different moments that catapult my way over the course of one day but I'd have to agree with everyone on the tantrums. Why would you ever miss them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once when I had to remove myself and a couple children from an Eagle Court of honor (that hubby insisted we ALL attend) I had a mother come up to me in the hallway and tell me that "it gets better". That she didn't really love it when her kids were little and that they were so much more fun once they grew up a bit.

    Thanks Ann! That was one of the best things anyone had ever said to me. Some love the baby stages and others don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em said that all the time too when I first had L....and I appreciate that a lot. It always made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete