February 11, 2011

Black and White Basic

I've been wanting to do a black and white quilt, but nothing was really grabbing me (this was before discovering the houndstooth) so I came up with my own. Isn't it a minimalist beauty? OK, could be my opinion only. This one is also for the basement. And it's my biggest yet. Super simple. Traditional quilters are probably hyperventilating right about now, but I say we all can be friends. :)



Quilt Front





Quilt Back

finished quilt measures 61" x 81"
I bought 3 1/2 yards of this fabric and then cut it in half.
Pieced the two halves together.
And that's how I got my size.



these quilt lines are 4" apart
do you know the blue painter's tape trick?
um, it's the best (thanks, EM)



detail of how the quilting looks on the back.
this fabric is McKenzie by Dena
I purchased it locally, but looks like you can purchase online too



{I snapped a few other detail shots on an unfinished roll, but nothing life changing.}

Note: I got lazy and didn't pre wash my binding fabric. Huge mistake. One I will never make again. It really warped the borders. And so......the handstitching has already snapped twice....when the girls use their great manners and yank the blanket out of my hands. So annoying. But there is no way I'm going to unpick. Lesson learned peeps.

P.S. I've been curious if I could sell a quilt so I'm making a replica (slightly smaller) of this to sell in my etsy shop.

6 comments:

  1. this is beautiful, and so unique! i definitely think you could sell your quilts on etsy... they're works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, WOW! When are your quilting classes starting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love the backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I TOTALLY love this quilt. I like all your quilts, but this is SO chic! I'd buy one!!! I want to try and make one too!! Your work is so great!!

    ReplyDelete