July 06, 2011

Make life easier

"Do not be critics, you people, I beg you. I was a critic and I wish I could take it all back because it came from a smelly and ignorant place in me, and spoke with a voice that was all rage and envy. Do not dismiss a book until you have written one, and do not dismiss a movie until you have made one, and do not dismiss a person until you have met them. It is a ... load of work to be open-minded and generous and understanding and forgiving and accepting, but... that is what matters."

- Dave Eggers



A while ago my mom confided how uncomfortable she felt when a friend was revealing the negative traits of a mutual friend. Things my mom did not know. I couldn't help but think about my own stuff and the consequences if the world, my neighbors, my friends only knew of what I struggled with, my mistakes and failures, and nothing else. No doubt those qualities would send everyone running. (Sheesh, even I want to run from them sometimes). Negative traits....I've got 'em. We all do, but it is hardly the entire package of a person. Don't we all want to be loved and accepted even though?
Oh please, love me even though.

4 comments:

  1. love that quote and truly appreciate your comments at the end. love and acceptance. i think deep down, that's all we really want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's a constant battle in my head...the desire to be loved and accepted and then the reminding myself to not care what other people's opinion of me is. Constant battle I tell you!! But if I want to be loved and accepted then shouldn't I love and accept?? Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote! I am totally guilty of my inner critic and I know I need to let possible in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our weaknesses/struggles/failures make us that much more interesting and human. We just need to be more gentle with ourselves and others. (I'm convinced that if we were to all lay our junk out there we'd find that a lot of us have the same junk.)

    ReplyDelete